Happy Halloween!! Please be mindful of what you let your children consume today/tonight/all weekend. Sugar will suppress their immune system for at least 8-12 hours, food dye will alter their mood, aka hyperactivity. Contrary to popular belief, studies show that it’s not actually the sugar that makes kids jumpy – it’s the artificial colors and other synthetic additives. You know, yellow dye #5, sodium benzoate, red 40, etc. That’s the stuff that you really have to watch out for.
There is a happy medium for parents who want to spare children of nutrient-devoid treats but still have a fun Halloween. Beyond boxes of raisins, here are some healthier alternatives. You’ll be surprised how many kids actually go for them!
- 100% real fruit leathers – check the label and pick the one with the highest % vitamin C. I get my from this amazing women. Raw to Ready.
- Bags of popcorn – an exciting source of fibre, but look out for MSG in flavoured kinds. Make your own, popcorn balls were my favorite as a child.
- 70% cocoa dark chocolate – bulk food stores often sell these as individually wrapped squares.
- Mini juice boxes – check that it’s 100% real juice and not a fruit cocktail or fruit beverage
- Partly skimmed cheese strings or sticks – bonus: cheese helps neutralize the acid in kids’ mouths after a sugary treat
- Sesame snaps – sesame seeds are a source of good fat and calcium
- Ethnic/vegetarian treats – single serve packs of dried roasted seaweed, wasabi peas, rice crackers, or roasted soybeans are available in many mainstream grocery stores or Asian supermarkets
Non food treats are fantastic as well, like little toys, pencils etc. Keep the 80/20 rule in mind: keep your kids on a healthy track 80% of the time, and relax a bit knowing that your child eats really well the majority of the time. Our bodies are able to handle small amounts of junk food (unless there is an allergy or intolerance).” Just be aware and caution that junk food will dampen their immune system, so maybe diffusing onGuard essential oils in the home today and giving extra probiotcs and a fish oil today would be a good choice. Have fun with your kids and I would love to see what they dressed up in.